NY Chapter Board Meeting
March 22, 2017 – NEW YORK, NY: The chapter’s Board of Directors met to brainstorm about the upcoming year and start planning key events that members will be interested in attending. A calendar will be posted on the website and Facebook page. Going forward, social media and The Picture Professional, our digital magazine, will be better utilized and integrated into all ASPP events, so that each enhances the others to build resources and disseminate valuable information to our membership.
- To share your upcoming event with ASPP members via social media, send a link and information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We’ll be launching our new Instagram guest-hosting program shortly. Members can volunteer to take over our Instagram page (@aspp_nyc) for a week to post fresh content, share your work, or promote upcoming projects. More details will follow once we’ve tightened up the specs for the project.
- We had our first planning meeting for the Summer Party, which we’re co-hosting with ASMP NY. We’ll post the info as soon as we have a firm date and location set, but we are aiming for the second week of July. If you are interested in volunteering, or if you want to sponsor an event in 2017, contact email@example.com.
I’m encouraged and excited about all the energy and ideas we have in the works for 2017.
ASPP Peer2Peer Networking Roundtable
March 1, 2017 – NEW YORK, NY: Members of the NY chapter gathered for the recent Peer2Peer roundtable discussion at Jack Demsey’s, with everyone sharing events and topics that affect their workflow and our entire industry.
Some of the many points of interest:
- Recent blog resources related to fair use highlighted on the Copyright Alliance website.
and the introduction of HR890 – the Digital Economy Act – which will impact the restructuring and reorganization of the U.S. Copyright Office. You can read more about it here. There’s also a terrific survey posted here that you might find interesting.
- Vanity Fair article about the disputed photograph of blues singer Robert Johnson that was recently purchased on eBay by Steven “Zeke” Schein. Read all about this unique discovery and how it’s playing out in the news.
- Upcoming Henry Stewart DAM event in NYC and the free webinars available on their site.
These meet-ups are a great opportunity to share your news and discuss issues that impact your day-to-day work. Our next Peer2Peer is scheduled for June 1st and is open to all ASPP members and guests.
May 10, 2017 – CHICAGO, IL: This year’s ASPP Midwest Chapter Strategic Planning Session will be lead by professional business coach Travis Downs. We will discuss 1) What do you want from your ASPP chapter? and 2) How do we get there? Homemade artisan bread, hummus, veggies and fruit smoothies will be served.
Wednesday, May 10, 2017
5:00-6:30 PM Social time
6:30 PM Meeting starts
Location: Robert E Potter III’s studio
6147 N. Sheridan Road, Unit 12B
Chicago, IL 60660
In 2007 The Midwest Chapter hosted a variety of events that benefitted our photo community. Calling on all former and present members to come to our next event to share ideas and feedback that will help us keep our community strong.
ASMP and APA have both agreed to include us in their industry nights. We need an ASPP member to be responsible for the communications. How about you?
Contact me if you would like to help shape the future of our chapter: 312-226-2060 or by email at potter@REP3.com. Please, I need your help to reinvigorate our community.
–Robert E Potter III